Wednesday 23 May 2007

A wonderful rainy weekend

I was very excited last Friday and my friends Dawn and Rich were coming to visit from Llanelli. The weather last week had been wonderfully sunny, but, true to form, as I stepped out of work and looked up on Friday evening I saw a sky full of grey clouds. Even so, I raced home eagerly to meet my friends and prepare the BBQ we had previously planned.

I love it when friends come to visit. The thing I dislike most about living out here is not being able to see them as often as I used too. It's also good to get a visit as I can order a big package from Amazon to be sent to them for free to bring out for me instead of having to pay extra tax (4% on books and 16% on CDs and DVDs), plus a whopping postage fee to get it sent here. (As my mum is coming by car this year she's getting an extra big package!) So thanks Dawn and Rich for bringing my package out for me.


In true British style we had our BBQ despite the clouds, and the drizzling rain which started later on. It was a good job the clouds came down as our neighbours would've thought us most peculiar if they'd seem us sitting outside eating barbecued goodies under the awning in the miserable rain.


I have been inspired by Tortoiseshell to post this photo. This is our current favourite beer, which we happily consumed on Friday night. I hadn't come across it in Spain before I lived here, but am making up for it now. At 6.5% it's stronger than the usual Spanish cerveza with a much fuller flavour. Matt calls it a 'sipping beer', but I find it much to tasty to just sip, however hard I try.




Despite the late night and the dreary weather, we pulled ourselves out of bed on Saturday at not-too-late an hour. Revitalised in true Cardiff style by a fried-egg-sandwich breakfast we went for a walk to our favourite spot above the house. It was quite atmospheric up there with the low cloud, although we could've done without the constant drizzle. Compare this to the last time we were up there.






We still enjoyed ourselves up there. There was lots to see despite the clouds blocking the mountain views (poor Rich, I don't think he saw a single mountain while he was here. Dawn, who has visited before, kept telling him how lovely the views that he was missing were) and because of the rain everything had a fresh, green look to it.














There were lots of cobwebs everywhere that stood out because of the rain. I think these were the strangest that we saw - they covered numerous bushes. I presume they're there all the time but we normally don't see them in dry weather.




My favourite activity of the weekend by far took place on Sunday. We had to get up early and had planned an early night, but after going out for a lovely meal at a local bar/restaurant we had gone back home for a few more beers and ended up talking until the early hours. So we were a big groggy on the Sunday and navigation to a place we'd not been to before in the non-stop rain didn't help. However, we were determined to carry on as planned. And I shall tell you all where we went in my next post which will appear as soon as I have time to write it during what's turning into a very busy week.

2 comments:

Melody said...

Beer....owww....beer....drool!

Anonymous said...

Despite the crappy weather we managed to have a great weekend, thanks Rachie.

We've been treated to a bit of sun since being home in Llanelli though which is always good on a week away from the office.

You will be glad to know that my peas are now out of the ground. I stole your slug pellets in a jam jar idea and found a big juicy slug in one of them this morning too.

Looking forward to the next issue..