Tuesday 15 May 2007

What's for dinner?

This week it's peas, and more peas. Peas with mash and omelette, peas in a stir fry, pea and mushroom risotto... If they weren't so tasty I might get bored. We have so many pods on our pea bushes I'm seeing them in my sleep. You have to be very thorough when picking them as the plants are so bushy the pods are often well-hidden. It's very annoying when you come across a hidden pod full of of old, dry peas as they're much tastier when young and sweet.



I've been taking them into work for me for my merienda (afternoon snack to keep you going until dinner at 9/10pm) and absolutely everybody thinks I'm ever-so-slightly loopy for eating raw peas. I've made them all try them - apart from a couple of five-year olds nobody spat them out and the verdict was generally positive. However, I doubt I'll change their pea-eating habits, Spaniards can be very set in their ways when it comes to culinary matters.


4 comments:

Melody said...

Oooo, childhood memories!!! I used to love the taste of raw, sweet, young peas when I was only a little pea myself...

Anonymous said...

My pea plants aren't even out of the ground yet!

Unknown said...

You have pea plants!? Next year plant them in November/December - it´s what everyone does here and works very well, even when it snows.

lorenzothellama said...

If you plant peas in Britain in November/December they just rot in the soil. Broad beans are ok planted early.
Raw peas just picked are delicious but I have been known to eat the odd maggot along with them by mistake. Just a bit more protein I suppose but I am vegetarian.
Just come back from Spain. Had a wonderful time. So lovely to see parts that get few visitors and to struggle with very poor, not even basic, Spanish!