Monday 26 November 2007

Winter Approaching

After a quick session in the garden yesterday between downpours, it struck me that after much hard work we do, finally, have what can be called with no stretching of the truth 'a garden' rather than a field that someone had stuck a few plants in. And despite the fast-approching winter it was still a fine place to be.




Kale & cat

Wild peach tree & horreo



More splashes of colour in neighbouring fields


All tiny fig and hardly any leaf - should've resticted those roots a bit more



Our bargain €8 Japanese Maple

The contoneaster which survived, despite cat damage earlier in the year


Sunrise earlier this week






6 comments:

Plumpy said...

Elbi, my Mum has been gardening too. What is your Mum going on about with all this 'cat damage' talk??

My Mum planted a special plant for me, and I'm afraid I have to stay here in NZ to look after it. I will miss you like anything, but maybe Mum will help me send a little sample of the cat-mint to you for a Christmas present.

Love Plumpy

Melody said...

Ooo that sunrise photo is very special. Looks lovely, just like that Japanes maple..

Have you seen my gardening thumbs? Black as midnight in Antarctica in winter they are.

lorenzothellama said...

Would you mind if Scaredy, Badger and I came and lived with you. We could help you in that garden to keep it looking so interesting and beautiful.
Lorenzo, Scaredy and Badger.
p.s. Badger wants to know if there are squirrels to chase?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what cat damage?
Scaredy.

Unknown said...

Lorenzo, not there´s plenty of room, and squirrels (and they´re red too) for everyone. You can earn your keep with the spade and Scaredy and Badger can earn theirs with loves. Hmm sounds good to me.

For the benefit of Scaredy and Plumpy, cat damage is what happens when Elbi, Mahou or Beeps decides to use a plant or (young) tree as a scratching post, although I´m sure you knew this anyway and were just feigning innocence.

Unknown said...

Oh, and cat damage also refers to playing, in, on and around a plant so much that its branches break off. I bet you knew that one too.