Friday 30 November 2007

Academia bits 'n' bobs

In the pell mell existence I sometimes lead at work, rushing from one lesson to the office to the next, I'm sometimes surprised into stopping, looking and marvelling. This week it was a twelve-year-old student who amazed me. Whilst his erstwhile companions were noisily milling around the entrance area waiting for class to begin, he was perched by the window, quietly humming Beethoven's Ode to Joy to himself, oblivious of all around him.

The previous week I'd been suprised my a ten-year-old who, in English, had told me that the President of Great Britain was Gordon Brown. After teaching the phrase 'Prime Minister' he quickly informed me that the previous one had been a certain Tony Blair. I congratulated him on his knowledge and and exercised some willpower so as to refrain from giving my own opinion on the subject.

Sometimes students just make me grin. Another twelve-year-old announced to me this week that he'd dreamt the world was going to end. It was a horrible dream, he said, the human race was wiped out by a nuclear attack. And which evil megalomaniac had pressed the button that cause all this distruction? Why, Homer Simpson, of course.

20 comments:

lorenzothellama said...

Not Homer! It was Mr Burns. I think he should be told.
Lorenzo.

Ju's little sister said...

Paragraph 1: I am amazed! What a marvel!

Paragraph 2: Impressed!

Paragraph 3: Laughing my arse off!!!

I even startled ol' Plumps off my lap!

lorenzothellama said...

Poor Plumpy. It must have been a very big chuckle if it moved the ten ton weight.
Elbi.

lorenzothellama said...

Hope you are feeling better Raelha. Read about you feeling poorly on Plump's blog.
Scaredy snores!
Lorenzo.

lorenzothellama said...

You know you sneezed over the internet the other day? Well I've got one rotton sore throat now. At least I'll use a hanky, not like wot you did.
Lorenzo.

lorenzothellama said...

I like the sound of your bonfire on Solstice night. Wonder whether JLS and Plumpy will join us?
Lorenzo.

Unknown said...

A Plumpy on my lap, glass of mulled wine in hand and blazing bonfire before me would make my night.

Plumpy said...

Ohhh, you girls know how to make a cat purrrr!

xx

Anonymous said...

Sulk.

lorenzothellama said...

There's a quiz on Thesaurus Rex blog today!
L.

Martin Stickland said...

Tee hee! kids are just lovely but I could not eat a whole one as the saying goes.

Sounds like the type of things that come out of my two boys mouths!

Goodnight!

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much Beeps for the kind invitation. While your mum is being squashed by Lumpy Plumpy you and I will get together, curl up before the fire and see what Santa brings.
Scaredy.

Sara said...

Thank god there are still some kids left who are capable of something other than sitting in front of a play station. You should reward them by inviting them to your bonfire with a big bag of marshmallows. Perhaps Martin could teach them how to set light to various things?

lorenzothellama said...

I'm sure Martin could teach them all sorts of things, much of it probably illegal!

Notice we have conflicting interests today in the wordimperfect poll!

Lorenzo.

lorenzothellama said...

We've plenty of slugs in the garden. Will they do instead of mice pies?

Have you heard of the arrival of small Tortoiseshell?
Lorenzo.

Thesaurus Rex said...

The first kid sounds like Shroder from Peanuts cartoons. Very cute, I hope he goes far.
I know you're probably busy but have you worked out who directed The Doors yet and I should try to close the quiz soon cos some other contestants are getting restless. Couple of days or so should do it.

Plumpy said...

Me all over your lap Raelha? Surely there'd be room for one particular lady to cosy up with too?

Unknown said...

Plumpy, just how big do you think my lap is?! You may have to alternate between it and Elbi, or be very squished - if she can't find room to share with Mahou on my lap, Elbi tends to just sit right on top of her.

lorenzothellama said...

Well done Elbi. You sound my type of girl!
Lorenzo.

Plumpy said...

Elbi could lie on top of me, I wouldn't mind at all.