Thursday 1 November 2007

Look at the size of my pumpkins!

Last Sunday I decided it was time to harvest our largest pumpkins. Matt had been letting them grow to see how big they could get - I think this is a rather macho thing to do, correct me if I'm wrong, although I did enjoy driving up the hill in the preceeding weeks and being able to spot three orange splodges from a fair distance away, and it must have got the neighbours talking (though that's easily done).

Slumbering giants

With careful manouevring - Matt rolling and me spotting - we managed to move all three across our finca and onto the terrace where Matt had earmarked sites for the largest two.


Pumpkin pixie

Sentinels. All pumpkins in place

I then got out my carving equipment and proceded to prepare the smallest, but still impressive one, for the academia. I'd never carved a pumpkin before - we did turnips one Halloween when I was in the girl guides, which I found quite pathetic, this was much more exciting.


Being sensible and marking where I wanted to cut the lid.

Success!


During the hollowing process - a spoon works best, as I discovered after almost slicing my finger off a couple of times.



The hollowed pumpkin - after much scraping and building up of arm muscles. All ready for the fun part:


Ta daa! The finshed item. Not bad for a first effort I thought.

Not only did I end up with a great, if I may say so, pumpkin lantern, but also with several kilos of flesh that I proceeded to turn into soup and curry, resulting in a very full freezer, and full tummies that evening.

Even after it'd been hollowed out it was still a hefty brute. After some difficulties, I managed to get it down to the academia on Monday morning where I set it up opposite the front door for all to see.



How to earn brownie points from the boss.
Pumpkins here are smaller and green/yellow in colour so my splendid example was remarked upon by all and sundry who passed through the door. In one fell swoop I gained publicity for the academia, was granted status of 'cool teacher' by my pupils, toned my arms and garnered enough food to keep us going for a week or so. Not bad for an afternoon's work.

9 comments:

lorenzothellama said...

That's such a brilliant pumpkin!!
Love pumpkin soup and pumpkin seeds but don't know how they are processed. When I buy them they are green and crunchy but inside a pumpkin they are squashy and yellow. Do you know how they do it? What are you going to do with the other two? Will they keep over winter?

No piccies yet as Fairtrader has been using the computer and everytime I go into 'my pictures' I get all hers from Guatamala. I have put them into a folder, but still can't get mine. They are just a series of code numbers and I don't know which one is which. I'll have to emperiment or wait until Jemima comes home for a visit to show me!
Lorenzo.

Sara said...

I love your pics Raelha, especially the pumpkin pixie. This post just reminded me of a small pumpkin I carved and put on our doorstep one year when I lived in th USA. My four year old duaghter used it as a receptacle for a dead mouse she'd found but was too distressed to allow its disposal. Eventually after unpleasant whiffs emanated from my very sinister pumpkin, she conceded to its burial. I don't risk my fingers doing pumpkins anymore, but I agree, pumpkin soup might just be worth the effort.

Melody said...

Oh wow. How good do they look? I am always surprised by the Nth Hemisphere pumpkins - it's rare to find pumpkins like that down this end of the earth... Looks like you did a mighty fine job carving and I'd love to taste some of your soup. Mmmm....

Ju's little sister said...

VERY impressive! Another tradition that is not common in little ol' NZ.

Yummy Yummy pumpkin soup!

lorenzothellama said...

Thanks Raelha your suggestion works!
I have learnt so much about computers since having a blog. I'll get on with the new posting later today.
Lorenzo.

Martin Stickland said...

Hey my Friend nice pumkins!!!

If you want a real treat then go and visit:

http://www.pumpkingutter.com

The carvings are soooper dooper!!!

Have a nice weekend!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Well that's sorted then. Pumpkin soup for starters, jls's cassata for desert... Does anyone have any ideas for main course?

Anonymous said...

Oh my. Those pumpkins are MASSIVE!!