Monday 19 November 2007

Cooking Today

I've been meaning to write this for ages, inspired as I was by a post by Lorenzo in, oops, July - I have been lax in my blogging, most recently due to running around after electricians and builders. No matter, here it is at long last:

We bought our house here fully furnished. What we didn't expect to find amongst all the furnishings were all sorts of bits 'n' bobs left behind. A lot of it was rubbish that we spent ages sorting through before eventually throwing most of it out (we were lucky, we know an English woman who lives round the hillside from us who was left a full chamber pot as a welcome gift).

However, the odd little gem did appear. My favourite of which is an old cookery book - La Cocina de Hoy or 'Cooking Today'. It's a third edition, published in 1960, although the recipes and advice contained therein can't have changed much, if at all, from the first edition. It's full of traditional Spanish recipes and all sorts of alimentary information ranging from calorific values and consumption - a 17 year old boy should eat between 2800 to 4,000 calories a day, and a girl of the same age between 2,500-2,800 - to breast feeding: " According to Doctor Casares the mother should first offer her breast to the baby twelve hours after birth, and from then on at intervals of six hours on the first day..."  I can't imagine Delia waxing lyrical on this subject, although she'd probably still sell by the millions if she did.



There's also a great section on the medicinal properties of food. Cauliflower is recommended to lower blood pressure and combat insomnia and asparagus to stimulate the nervous system. Young peas should be eaten by those suffering from tuberculosis, and young beans by those with diabetes and those who wish to "purify the intestines". Does anyone suffer from worms? Well, eat garlic, figs, spring onions and thyme on an empty stomach and you should soon feel better. The solution for gout is lots of fruit and anyone looking for a laxative should be eating prunes, grapes, cucumber, young beans and oats.


My favourite part of the book is entitled "Warnings to the housewife" and details all sorts of information on cleaning (another idea for Delia if she wished to branch out), use of the pressure cooker - "don't clean it with sand...use a pan scrubber"  - and electric whisk; losing weight - "in general, don't eat bread or salt with meals"; laying the table - "at lunchtime use tablecloths of a refined and discreet colour"; preparing menus - for a christening you should serve canapes, sandwiches and small cakes, cold meats, coffee or tea, cigars and brandy, champagne, sherry and Madeira wine; and service - "without the noise of plates or cutlery and with great skill. First, the lady with greatest social standing should be served, she will be sat to the right of the owner of the house, then serve the lady to the left of the owner and so on, finishing with the lady of the house, followed by any old people and young girls."

Got that everyone? Right let's carry on.



The best bit of the entire book is in a section entitled "Fellow Diners", the whole of which I would love to quote to you, but I shall try and restrict myself to the juiciest parts. " First, the oldest ladies should be sat at the table, then the young ladies and finally the gentlemen...The gentlemen will pull out the chair for the lady who is next to him to allow her to sit down and then put the chair back in position. At all times should one should be respectful of and gallant with the ladies....Although at times we would like a second helping we should never take it, nor fill our plate to overflowing. Neither should we eat our food quickly, or tip the plate to collect the last drop of food with a spoon....before and after drinking one should wipe ones lips with a serviette...Spinach or bones can be removed from the mouth with a fork, or with ones fingers, discreetly placing them on the edge of the plate. For fruit stones, discreetly raise a teaspoon to the mouth...At the table one should not make fussy movements such as touching one's hair, especially not with a comb, scratching oneself, fiddling with one's face, cleaning one's nails, etc...When one needs to blow one's nose at the table one will do it with the greatest dissimulation and never with strident and exaggerated noise which is bad manners in any place."

So there we have it. Would anyone like to come round for dinner (black tie optional)?

9 comments:

lorenzothellama said...

Good gracious! When old ladies come here for a meal I sit them on the chair nearest the loo in case of accidents.

Does it say anything about the etiquette of licking the plate or spitting cherry pips out?

I have an old 'good housekeeping' book from the 50s. I'll have to cross check your info with mine. Maybe it's different in Spain. We should compare notes. Also we have an old Mrs Beeton somewhere around. She's a bit bloody for my taste, i.e. first catch your hare etc.

Lorenzo.

Melody said...

How hilarious is all that? I love reading little gems like that. I have a cookbook that once belonged to Lyndon's Grandmother, which I grabbed when she was put into a 'home'. (Terrible aren't I?) It is full of little gems like what your book is filled with too. Hilarious stuff but still full of some classic recipes for the most basic items, whose recipe ingredients you need to look up...

Sara said...

I love all this old fashioned nonsense. I have an ancient tome by Elizabeth Craig called 'Cookery and Household Management.' Here's one of my favourite gems from the Hints on First Aid, Health and beauty section;

'ANKLES, WEAK: Salt, a teaspoonful to a pint of warm water, rubbed into weak ankles strengthens them.'

"I regret not being able to attend the tea party this afternoon, Mabel, but my ankles are feeling frightfully weak today."

Ju's little sister said...

Wow, I am fascinated. My Godmother still has (and still uses) her Home Economics recipe book from when she was at school. She's nearly 70 I think so that makes her book from the 50s.

I love that she still uses it. It sits in her pantry next to the flour and I'm not allowed to touch it 'in case it falls apart' !

Unknown said...

jls, Matt swears by his school home ec book - not as old as your godmother's - and I must admit the crumble recipe within is rathe rfine. He took his apart and placed each page in a plastic wallet in a folder, he's determined not to let get to thge stage where it can't be used.

Plumpy said...

Elbi, Lorenzo says FairTrader is going to Spain in December and I can hitch a ride in her hand luggage, so I shall be sure to see you then.

Now I just have to work out how to use Mum's old credit card...

Martin Stickland said...

How are the chillies? you are supposed to eat them and not do naughty things with them!

Have a good week!

Thesaurus Rex said...

Good grief!
Why do you think it's supposed to be ok to blow your nose, which some folk find so disgusting it makes them want to vomit, whilst tipping the plate a fraction to eat the last bit is not acceptable?
Spanish or English, French Americans. We all have our table manner peculiarities. BONES CAN BE REMOVED FROM THE MOUTH!!!! What the feck are these rules for? Tigers, perhaps? Dinosaurs, maybe?
I have a book 7th edition, 1953 which has some absolute gems from yesteryear. For beri-beri it suggests a diet may contain unpolished rice. I NEVER polish my rice. I don't even know what that means. I'm sure I had a book somewhere which suggested such stuff as making sure you r husbands slippers were warm and you had made up your face and hair to look presentable when he gets home from work. The mind boggles what my mum's generation put up with. Anyway, nice post and P.S. I don't eat black ties, but is 7.30 on sunday ok?

Unknown said...

7.30's a bit early for dinner in Spain, can you hold on until 9pm?