Monday 2 April 2007

Things that make me happy about living in Spain, part I

After the last post I started to worry about being seen as some Victor-Meldrew-type character. So, to readress the balance, I decided I'd start listing things that I like about living here too.

Having gone shopping after I finished work this morning (I'm back for another three hours this evening) I saw exactly what I wanted to include in my first great thing about living in Spain post. And no, it's not olives, or olive oil or Manchego cheese and not even the wine (although I suspect this will be appearing at a later date). No. One of the things I enjoy about living in Spain is the toilet roll. Yes, you did read correctly. It's not the quality of the stuff, which is the same as back in the UK, but the price I adore. You can buy 40 rolls of good-quality loo roll here for €5.19 which is about £3.65. Now how much would that get you in the UK I ask? Hmm, not much I suspect. Maybe nine rolls if you were lucky. Just think how much money Andrex is raking in! I marvel over the price:quantity ratio every time I pull a pack off the shelf here - it must be the eternal student in me.

1 comment:

lorenzothellama said...

Hello, I barged into your blog site through Tortoiseshell's!
Re: bog roll. I buy Netto's own, and NEVER buy Andrex. It's about £1.60 for nine. I used to buy 'seconds' from a little mini-market that has now closed down. These were five pee each. They didn't have any perforations so was great fun using it.
Spain sounds delightful. I will be there with Tortoiseshell's dad in May. Lorenzo.