Monday 16 April 2007

The devil and Daniel Johnston, and me

A few weeks ago our friend Duncan lent us a DVD entitled 'The Devil and Daniel Johnston' which was a documentary about the life and career of singer-songwriter-artist Daniel Johnston, of whom I'd never heard before. We watched it one Saturday evening when we couldn't think of anything else we'd rather pop into the DVD player. At the time, I enjoyed the documentary, it was interesting and capably directed by Jeff Feuerzeig - who was also previously unknown to me. (You can read a good review here.) The songs, however, have had a more lasting impact and I now can't believe I never knew who Daniel Johnston was before. I must warn you that the man's singing voice is not great, it could be descibed as terrible; the lyrics and music are what makes him stand out head and shoulders above many of today's singers/bands. As I recently said to a friend, I find most of the new music pouring out of the UK today insipid, unoriginal and uninspiring. Daniel Johnston's music is a wonderful antidote to all that.

Duncan also lent us a wonderful CD, released in 2004, of covers of Daniel Johnston songs (The Late Great Daniel Johnston: Discovered Covered). There's one track on there that, although very simple, is just perfect - 'True Love Will Find You in the End', sung by Beck. It's made it straight onto my favourite songs of all time list - a feat not easily achieved. You can have a quick listen here:

No comments: