Wednesday 25 April 2007

A quick garden update


Exploring the garden on Monday I was ever so excited to discover that we have cauliflower. It's a little thing, yet it's made me very happy. We've never grown it before, but I bought some plants off the market last autumn, along with some cabbages.



The current cauliflower situation.


What I was told were the cauliflowers were the cabbages, and vice-versa, so I'd been prowling the garden cursing what were the cabbages for not producing cauliflower heads - sorry cabbages! It's been dry for a while, but has started to rain today so hopefully the cauliflowers will start swelling, and the peas too. We have pods on then now and when the sun shines you can just about make out very tiny peas inside. We planted extra peas this year as only half of last year's crop made it to the table - it was just too tempting to pull off a pod or two for nibbling as you walked by, and while shelling them just as many made it into my mouth as the bowl - freshly picked peas just can't be beaten.
Matt planted the runner beans about ten days ago and they're off already. We put this down to Matt's 'mini-greenhouse' method (see below) which just means we  cover them with a five-litre water bottle with the bottom cut off.

3 comments:

Melody said...

Wow. Must be quite a good feeling to see the produce you've grown yourself. Well done.

lorenzothellama said...

Cauliflowers are really difficult to grow. Are you going to eat it while it is tiny or wait until it's a bit bigger? I love peas in their pods before they start to swell. I always think you get a better return for your investment that way, when you eat the pods too.

Unknown said...

The cauliflowers have grown rapily since it started to rain on Tuesday evening. I haven't had time for a proper look but I imagine the first one'll be for the pot very soon. We haven't had much trouble growing them. As I said, we just popped them in and waited for cabbages to appear, they haven't been given any special treatment.