Sunday 22 April 2007

A day at the beach and the rest of the week


We've had Matt's mum staying with us this last week, and yesterday, with the idea of showing her some of what Asturias has to offer, we went to our favourite beach at Vega.






Unfortunately, much of the Costa Verde, as the Asturian coastline is known, is becoming highly developed. However, due to the presence of some interesting geological formations, the land directly behind this beach is a protected area. This makes it very hard for even the most determined developer to get his dirty paws on it, no matter how many brown paper envelopes he produces. I'm keeping my finger crossed it remains this way because the beach is wonderfully unspoilt and, even at the height of summer, relatively quiet. The village of Vega is also very lovely as it's mostly traditional stone houses, many of them with walled gardens. If I ever come by a vast amount of money, this is where I would choose to own a house.

We passed several relaxing hours on the beach. I wasn't quite brave enough to go in the water - it was only the 21st April after all, and the water at Vega is never very inviting, even in September when it's been warming all summer. After that we hopped into the car and drove west along the coast to Llastres. Matt and I had driven through the village one cold, wet day in December when we first arrived in Asturias. We found the place much more to our liking yesterday. It's a Cornwallesque village, built on cliffs overlooking a harbour, and again, full of traditional houses. We had a beer in a bar overlooking the port while we drank up the view. I was tempted to change my 'ideal house location' to Llastres, but in the end decided Vega had the edge due to the large, peaceful beach and not being packed in summer. Still, were it to be offered, a house in Llastres would do me fine.



Above Llastres, looking towards the Picos de Europa.





Matt and I looking none too pleased to be photographed.




Houses overlooking the harbour.


Also this week we've made it up to the land above the house for a quick walk before I had to have lunch and dash off to work. We normally only go on days when I'm not working, but it was so relaxing I shall make a point of getting up there more often on work days. Despite it being hectic at the Academia this last week - the sun has made the students more boisterous - the weather has put me in an excellent mood, as can be evinced by my springing out of bed at a vaguely decent hour.




Taken from our terrace this week. Early morning (for us anyway) cloud in the valley.




On our morning walk.


A slow worm, seen on the way back from our walk.


A recent sunset. Since the clocks have gone forward I can sometimes get back home from work in time to enjoy them.

6 comments:

Melody said...

Looks gorgeous Rachel! That sky is such a vivid blue - makes one want to dive into it (and the water too of course!)

lorenzothellama said...

What a fantastic posting. Your photos are brilliant.
So sorry to hear the developers have got their hands on Costa Verde. I was there eleven years ago and it was so natural and beautiful with camp sites few and far between.
I had a fantastic time in Leon. I just loved that town. It was fiesta time I know, but there was something about the atmosphere of the place that really got to me. Your slow worm reminded me of a snake I saw writhing across the river. The river was so thick and mucus like I couldn't make out whether it was swimming or sliding.

Unknown said...

We get lots of slow worms in the garden - they hide under the black plastic we put down over any vegetable patch that isn't in use - when I first discovered one - by the toe of my boot - I did think it was a snake and panicked slightly!

I've only been to Leon once so far. I liked the old town very much, and was impressed by the stained glass windows in the cathedral - I was expecting to be diappointed as all the guide books rave about them and I didn't think they would live up to expections, but no, the Catholic church didn't diappoint - not surprising with their funds - and the windows were as described.

There's an excellent campsite in Vega - our current favourite on the Costa Verde. It's fairly small (it has a bar and a shop), but it's peaceful and the staff are very friendly - especially was we live near the owner's home town. I'm known there as 'la inglesa de El Entrego'.

lorenzothellama said...

I thought Leon Cathedral was fantastic too. I asked a nun what the Spanish for 'stork' was and she said 'ciguella' (I think). It's the only Spanish word I remember. I can't think where we camped now, but I do remember a fantastic place called 'cafe Hilda' run by a German woman and her Spanish husband. We were the only customers and they cooked us fish on an outside fire. It was really delicious.

Unknown said...

Lorenzo, you're coming to Spain soon aren't you? Which part?

I didn't know the word for stork. I've learnt all sorts of new vocab since moving here - mostly involving DIY and gardening (mattock, sandpaper, bolts, wheelbarrow, sheepwire, etc) although my favourite, for pronunciation, is bache - pot hole. The first thing Matt learnt was how to ask for manure for his veg patch.

Anonymous said...

I discovered Vega last year whilst travelling through Europe with my boyfriend in a van, we saw the 'playa' sign while on the road above, and thought we'd give it a go..... we stayed in the van freecamping in the carpark and didn't leave for days! It was my most favourite memory of Europe, I have a pic as my screensaver and I am considering calling my firstborn boy Vega!!!! So you can gague my love of the place by that. I would love to live over there too.. may do oneday soon.