Sunday 8 July 2007

Visitors

Before I start, I'd like to make it clear that I'm normally very good at remembering to make sure I have a functioning camera on me. However, this last week when Sue and Simon were visiting, my brain became all fluffy in the camera department which meant that on one occasion I forgot to take spare batteries with me, just when it needed them. And then when we went camping I forgot to take it with me altogether. Explanation given, here's my account of the last week:

I always look forward to visits and was not disappointed by this one. Sue arrived at the airport (only forty minutes late) and we made it back to El Entrego just before Simon's train arrived at the station. Good timing. It didn't seem obvious that he'd been out the night before until about five am and in fact Sue was the one slacking by the time we'd had our dinner, although it wasn't late by the time were all tucked up in bed.

On the Sunday we went for a long walk on the land above the house - we normally do one of two routes when we're up there, but this time Matt decided to combine them into one long one. This was a slight shock to our system and an even bigger one to Simon's - I kept promising that this was going to be the last 'up bit' we did and then Matt changed the route again and there was more 'up'. Sorry Simon!




Sue and Simon on our Sunday 'stroll', with the Peña Mayor in the distance.











For a change the next day we decided to go and see the bears and do the nearby cycle route. Sue was most excited by this prospect and wanted to know if they were 'as big as Gentle Ben'. However, due to significant alcohol consumption and lots of mountain air the previous day we stumbled out of bed too late to make the bears and opted instead for another walk.

This time we went up into the Parque Natural de Redes, a national park just up the valley from us which encompases over 370 square kilometres of woodland, meadows, mountains, lakes and streams, along with traditional Asturian villages. We chose a route which started from a village high up in the park, Tarna, and which led to a waterfall. On the leaflet we'd been given in the tourist office, the route was described as easy and taking three and a half hours. Ha! It was a climb from the start, past verdant, and tree-filled meadows. We found a flat-ish flower-covered meadow with stunning views to stop in for lunch and then valiantly resumed the hike. The two lightest members of our party, Matt and Sue, also with the longest legs strode ahead while Simon and I trundled along behind.

The next part of the walk passed through an old beech forest - where, to be fair, it did flatten out and we were able to catch our breath, fortunately, as we had rather full bellies from lunch - which so reminded me of Klimt's paintings that I thought he could've done them there - dappled light falling down through green leaves onto the earth below. It was incredibly peaceful. I could've stopped then and there and spent the afternoon relaxing beneath the tree tops.


Seeing as I forgot the batteries you'll have to make do with Klimt.


Instead, we carried on and made our way out of the forest, down a slope to unspoiled meadows and, at last the waterfall in the distance. As we slowly got nearer, we had to ford the stream from the waterfall several times - I was pleased I had my trusty hiking stick with me - and then made our way up the slope to observe the cascade from higher up. Easy? No way, but by now my legs had finally warmed up and got into the swing of things so I climbed on ahead up the slope with Matt. Reaching the top was wonderful and made the hike up there worthwhile. There were views of the surrounding mountains, and the waterfall itself, which fell from a height of 1,800 metres (we must've been at about 1,600). The spray cooled us down as we stood at it's side comtemplating the rush of glacial water falling past us. (It's here where I curse myself yet again for forgetting fresh batteries for the camera. If Sue sends me her pictures I shall post them for you.)

After two days of long walks - never mind three and a half hours, the last one took at least five - we had a day of rest on the Tuesday- with mango and cava cocktails in the evening - and then headed to Vega beach on Wednesday to do a spot of camping. So busy was I rushing around to get everything ready so we could camp in comfort that, yes, I forgot the camera.


Enjoying cava and mango cocktails.


Vega campsite is our favourite on the Costa Verde - it's small, friendly, well-run and all the pitches are separated by hedges making it private too. The owner himself is from El Entrego so they're particulalry friendly with us, even though we only go for the odd night in the summer when we have free time. They know me there as la inglesa de El Entrego (the Englishwoman from El Entrego). So, as a reward for two tiring walks we took two lazy days on the beach, reading, jumping waves, playing Scrabble (in English and Spanish), and eating and drinking to our heart's content. The sea at Vega can be very surfy and I have a memorable image of Sue, Simon and me, in a line, jumping waves, all desperately holding onto our bikini bottoms/swimming trunks as each rather large wave approached and we whooped with delight. The sunsets are also particularly spectacular at Vega - the sun sets over the sea - and we spent one evening contemplating the sun as it disappeared below the water, and then, in the dying light, Sue happily contemplated the surfers in their tight wetsuits.


By the time we got back on Friday afternoon we were all to tired to do much more than unpack and have a nice cup of tea with some biscuits. Matt dashed off to his guitar lesson and the rest of us settled down on the sofa for a few episodes of Sex and the City which Sue had kindly brought me as a present. A perfect ending to a enjoyable, but tiring, week (I think it was the Bacardis on the Thursday night camping followed by hot chocolate with brandy that really did for me). I'm spending today recovering.

12 comments:

lorenzothellama said...

What a lovely week you have had. Wish I had seen a picture of the Klimpt trees.
Those Picos walks can be very confusing. A few years ago Peter and some friends did one that said it was 'moderate'. You had to be an experienced mountaineer and rock climber to be able to do it. It needed ropes, pitons etc.
Glad you are back safely.
Hope the cats are behaving!

Melody said...

Sounds like a wonderful week Rachel. Pity you forgot your camera, I would love to see some piccies! We're thinking we might by a family tent to do some camping in (though no hiking for us thanks!)... I'm sure we'd have a ball the 3 of us in a tent. Maybe.

Ju's little sister said...

Wow! Good job, I am impressed you perservered. But lazing is all good too!
Your descriptions were actually very informative and I didn't really feel a lack of photos.

Anonymous said...

Very nice. Looks like you had a good time Rach.

(Can you check your email - just sent you something.)

Anonymous said...

You have been busy. The camping looks great. Can't wait to come and visit again

lorenzothellama said...

Just voted for you on wordimp. top three for yesterday's vote!

Unknown said...

Thnks Lorenzo. I thought you had it yesterday, maybe next time.

I´m having trouble with muniment today, and I´m not sure I can better Stephen´s definition. I have 45 minutes left on my lunch hour to ponder it.

Anonymous said...

Rachie brown - Rachie blonde will be most impressed to see that you are making a contribution to her blog. Good girl - keep it up.

Rachie blonde - c'mon give us another update, you've been a bit slack this week. Tired from last week's excitement are you?

lorenzothellama said...

Just put a naughty suggestive explanation of the word hoosegow on wordimperfect's blog. Hope she doesn't delete me. Mind you, you have to have a mind like mine to find anything offensive in it!

Unknown said...

Dawn, expect an update on Sunday - I've been working all week 10am-6pm. I've got next week off though, so plenty of time for blogging.

And yes, I am impressed that Rachie finally figure out how to post a comment!

Unknown said...

Hee, hee Lorenzo. My mind must work like yours.

A splendid defintion and deserves a nomination - if I can win with posh puking your dirk should storm it!

Unknown said...

Bah, Word imp obviously has cleaner mind than us.