Monday 16 July 2007

The air car

Since moving here I've become ever so much more conscious of the impact we're having on the environment. Before, I always recycled, moved about Cardiff mostly on my bike, turned the tap off while brushing my teeth, etc., but never really gave it much thought beyond that. However, now I'm in Asturias, in such wonderful natural surroundings, it's become hard not to think seriously about our effect on the local and world environment.

This is for various reasons. We have our own water supply, for example. This means we think much, much more about the quantity we're using, and is also a perfect excuse for doing the washing up just once a day. We also only ever put washing-up liquid down our kitchen sink as the water goes directly into our garden - when it's right there in front of you it certainly makes you think about the effect you're having on it, you really don't want to eat herbs that have been drinking up bleachy water. Also, since I've been here I've noticed just how much more wildlife is about and how much more varied it is: birds, butterflies, lizards to name a few, mostly because their environment has been spoilt less, and I'd really like to help keep it that way.

I've been hearing about the air car on and off for a few years now and today finally made a concerted effort to find out more about it. Now we live five kilometres up a mountain we're rather dependent on our car, a fact we're not too happy about. The sooner these little beauties are available the better.

4 comments:

David Kendall said...

Let me be the first to express my agreement with your article and my support for the MDI Air Car. Why doesn't the US coverment or the corporate media promote the Air Car? Why don't we hear anything about it on the "mainstream news"? Because ethanol and other biofuels are an extremely profitable way to impose artificial scarcity of food, just as the Iraq "war" is a very profitable way to impose artificial scarcity of combustable fuel -- driving the price of both fuel and food increasingly upward.

The MDI Air Car potentially drops the bottom out of both ploys. The reasonable cost of purchasing an Air Car also presents a real-world threat to the economic gluttony of auto manufacturers. Along with worker-owned cooperatives and Basic Income Guarantee, the Air Car is a perfect fit with the economic reform that characterizes the 21st Century.

Considering all these global benefits, it's merely an added bonus that the Air Car also happens to be the most environment-friendly form of transportation on the planet. It doesn't burn anything, and it doesn't pollute anything -- except the bank accounts and the central-planning tendencies of the upper-one-percent.

The next step is to establish a worker-owned cooperative that manufactures and sells the Air Car, somewhere in this sick-ass world. It really doesn't matter where. Whoever does it first -- wins -- and so do the rest of us.

Melody said...

It is so good to be aware. I find myself more and more conscious of what I am doing in terms of everything (lights, power points, car usage, water usage etc.,) It is a good thing but I think it is because it is in our faces day in, day out, here in Australia. :)

lorenzothellama said...

Do you know I had never heard of the air car? David Kendall is quite right in everything he says.

We do try to be as environmentally friendly as we can. I keep meaning to do a posting on my compost heaps!

Unknown said...

Lorenzo - I'd very happily read about your compost heaps! Matt was devastated when he had to leave his posh compost bins behind when we left Wales - we just have piles of it now, which is possibly why the cats bring so many mice into the house.

I've just been browsing through Schnews (where I got my 'God the Builder' picture - see right).

It makes for some scary reading:

http://www.schnews.org.uk/archive/news596.htm