Saturday 28 July 2007

Cold turkey and my first hit in three years

Tomorrow evening Matt and I are going to see John Mayall perform in Oviedo (incidentally, we nipped into the regional capital last week and I had a quick check on Woody - I was pleased to see he's still without a full pair of glasses).

Now, this would not have been my first choice of concert. Before Matt's dad had told us he was going, I'd never even heard of the man (is this a big musical faux pas?). Matt, however, was very enthusiatic about getting tickets. I think this is because since he started taking guitar lessons about two months ago, he's become slightly obsessed (up to two hours practice a day while I get stuck with making lunch and dinner) and wants the opportunity to watch, and maybe learn something from, one of the greats. Actually, this reminds me that I must take my glasses so I can see what Matt gets excited about and so be able to ooh and ahh at the correct moments.

As the last concert I went to was Supergrass in Cardiff in 2004 just before we left and I've been cold turkey ever since, despite my best efforts (I wasn't pleased at having to forego Calexico last year, Matt wasn't interested in Van Morrison the year before and we've missed various other bands at numerous festivals too), I thought I''d give it a go, despite having to part with €20 for the ticket. I'll let you know what happens.

What I've just discovered this morning is that Crowded House have announced tour dates in Spain. Whoopee! Anyone who knows me well will know I have a soft spot for Neil Finn & Co (I even had a crush on the man until I realised that the photos of him during their Together Alone era strongly reminded me of an ex-boyfriend). I've been waiting for this since I heard about them reforming.

Shortly after we arrived here, Neil and Tim Finn played in Madrid and despite my best efforts to persuade Matt, he refused to go. At that point, I had no money whatsoever, so couldn't use the offer of paying for it all if he came with me. (I've still not quite forgiven him for it.) This time, the really, incredibly, awful news is that the concert dates are 30th September in Madrid and 1st October in Barcelona. Noooooo! Do they not know that we start the new school year at the Academia on 1st October and there is no way on earth that a) I can get out of being at work or b) get to Madrid and back in time?

I'm gutted, what was wrong with just one day earlier? However, I'm slowly becoming resigned to a more-or-less gig-less existence here in northern Spain - most bands/singers only play Madrid/Barcelona. I guess this is just one more I'll have to add to the list. I'll get over it, eventually, maybe. (And I'm sure I'll be able to read all about it here when they play the UK.)

5 comments:

lorenzothellama said...

I've never heard of John Mayall either. Is he a pop star?
I'm sorry I've never heard of the other bands either! I'm a real old fuddy duddy who likes Genesis and Meatloaf!
We went to the Simpsons last night and I have just written a posting on it.
Glad to hear Woody Allen is still missing his specs. Can't you knock his head off?

Anonymous said...

Thank you Raela for my strokes! I very much appreciate them! I extend a paw in friendship to your three little kits.
Love Scaredy.

Melody said...

Heehee... The last concert I saw was U2 and before that Billy Corgan. Having a baby meant concerts went out the window. Then when we moved up here, well, I actually forget about concert going.

Maybe you could email Neil and tell him to change the date.

lorenzothellama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lorenzothellama said...

Sorry Raela, made mistakes in the comment above so deleted it.

Mrs B. just picked at her food but she was pregnant at the time. Mr. B was bad-tempered as he had broken his foot that weekend. The heavies spooned ice cream into the little boy's mouth, but Mrs. B. did take him upstairs to the loo, and generally behaved like a normal mother. She was wearing a very long, very tatty suede coat but looked very pretty. I didn't recognise them, but Joe (my youngest son) nudged me, pointed and said 'Blimey, look who'se there!'