Friday 11 January 2008

This little piggy...

Last weekend we went round to Matt's dad's for lunch. The meal was as good as always, but the title of this post does not refer to my good self and the amount of food I scoffed (although, admittedly, it could). No, the heading refers to the highlight of the day:


A pair of Vietnamese pot-belllied pigs seen on the post-prandial walk we undertook to help lunch go down. They belong to Matt's dad and Carolina's neighbours and both came running at the sight of us, or rather the food we were carrying for them, which disappeared in no time. The little one was a real sweetie and lay down and dozed while Carolina scratched it's neck.

It turned out to be an animal-filled stroll after that: we were offered a four-year old Dacshund with a slipped disc by another neighbour. We politely declined, fearful of the wrath of our cats. And then we met a beautiful Siamese-tortoiseshell cross who was quite happy to be picked up and stroked, despite the yappy Basset Hound pup she was sharing her barn with.

We almost topped the day off with a camel or two on the drive back - they were appearing the the local town's Xmas Parade (the 6th January is when everyone gets their presents in Spain). We missed them, however, as we purposefully turned in the opposite direction and headed home, bellies full and thinking of cute black pigs.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

They should have a long and happy life, they're kept as pets rather than furture food - unlike most of the pigs round here.

Re. Mags' blog - I haven't been back for ages, the story was from my student days.

Metamatician said...

What cute pigs! I saw many like those when I visited Thailand *mumbles* years ago. They're such docile little guys, as you said you can usually pet them and play with them if they've been raised with any care.

I had to laugh when you said "post-pranial" walk. It's a perfectly good sentence and a damn good word to use for that exact spot, yet so many people would have missed the opportunity. I just love the right words.

Hope you're doing well in 2008 as yet. Thanks for coming over to my blog. I have a case of the nonauthorial blues as well; you can tell because I always fall back on song lyrics. In my case I have a valid if weak excuse in enjoying real life with the girlfriend rather than farting around in front of the little liquid crystal panel, but I suppose I should blog the happy time as well as the endlessly tragic ones.

Will try to do more often.

Sara said...

Baby pigs are adorable...then they grow up.

Weird about 6th of Jan being prezzie time. I didn't know that.

Re Mags blog, (so as not to be left out)did your motorway chundering friend ever get arrested? Unbelievable!

Metamatician said...

Chunder is another great word. You guys are killing me today.

Unknown said...

Mags - yes, the Spanish get thier presents form the Three Wise Men. However, Father Xmas has recently encroached upon Spanish Territory so they get some presents on 25th December too.

Re the friend - As far as I know, she was never caught chundering whilst hurtling down the M4. As I metionned, she was very professioanl at it - and so she should have been, she had enough practice.

Metamatician said...

Note that they were three wise MEN.