Friday 25 January 2008

Enjoying the learning curve, part III

Earlier this week my boss was talking about a new TV channel here in Spain for learning English. Settling down to an advanced-level episode, it kept her up way beyond bedtime and then had her clamouring for explanations from me the following morning.

The point of the little tale above is that one of the words the programme wanted watchers to translate was galimatías, a new word for me and I do like the way it runs off the tongue. Even better, translated it means gibberish, which Cris liked the sound of just as much as I did the Spanish version.

A wonderful coincidence yesterday in class with some adult students had one of them asking me how they could say galimatías in English. I confidently gave him his answer, knowledgable teacher that I am, but failed to metion that I´d only just learnt it myself. I do have the image to think of, after all.

So, enjoy your new Spanish word. I shall mention no names, but I´m sure some of you will find it very useful indeed.

7 comments:

lorenzothellama said...

galimatias! Have you told wordimperfect about this word?
Lorenzo.

Sara said...

He'd possibly been up half the night watching a new TV channel?

Unknown said...

No, he a very conscientious student and stays up half the night reading his law books.

Ju's little sister said...

This is a great word! I shall have to teach it to my mates at work, they'll love it.

And I love the way you used it immediately in class, bravo!

Martin Stickland said...

I thought that I would find all you chicks hanging around here gassing!

Little Sis told tales that you were talking about me but I see she is not a little fibber after all.

Fame at last! My name in lights.

Hello lorenzybum, Maggie babe and little sis, fancy finding you three here with raelha!

Metamatician said...

So THAT'S what this site is all about.

Unknown said...

Martin, you're already infamous, what do you want fame for? Hmm, perhaps I should add a little warning to your link in the previous post, or something along the lines of me not being responsible for the content of external sites.

Meta, yep, that's it. If you want sensible you'll have to visit Martin or T-Rex.