Wednesday 2 January 2008

Things I don't like about living in Spain, part V

Hands up who spent 26th December at home, eating leftovers in front of the telly, with friends in the pub, or just generally relaxing.

Well, you can all feel very smug because I spent it at work, and with a hideous cold that'd started the day before. Yes, that's right. Spain, land of the public holiday, does not recognise the 26th December as such (unless you're fortunate enough to live the Balearic Islands or Catalunya). Next time I bang on about how many national holidays I enjoy here you can all remind me what happens on Boxing Day. Grrr.

6 comments:

Melody said...

This post had me laughing Rach. I thought you were going to say something about doing nothing but relaxing and eating, but no! Poor you. :(

Sara said...

There's no such thing as Boxing Day in the USA either, the fools don't seem to realise that we need to get fat and drunk for longer than two hours. I spent the 26th in a fairly cheerful and innebriated fashion. No surprises there!

Ju's little sister said...

In the words of my rather urbane 15-year-old cousin:
'Stink.'

We had an american guy with s for Christmas. He was pleasantly surprised he was allowed the 26th off. Wanted to know what the 'boxing' meant. We spun something about boxing away your unwanted presents...

Unknown said...

Quick thinking jls. I thought it came from the boxes the King/Queen traditionally used to leave money in for the poor on the 26th.

Unknown said...

Hmm, or was it the church who used to leave the money?

lorenzothellama said...

Yes, it's to do with Christmas Boxes. The postman, dustman, newspaper boy etc. etc. used to come round on boxing day for their 'boxes' or tips. Anyway, you can say anything to an American and they always believe you!

Back in the land of blogging. Like Magdalene feel I want to go into hibernation. In fact, time to get my head down for half an hour!
Love Lorenzo.