Friday 26 October 2007

Enjoying the learning curve, part one

Every now and again, I'll hear a Spanish word I've not come across before that really tickles my fancy. They always know when this occurs at work as I'll stop partaking in the conversation and chuckle to myself and/or look confused before asking for a definition. It could be a simple, everyday word for Spaniards but my English ear makes it sound much more interesting.

Anyway, I thought I could share some of these words with you and improve everyone's Spanish while having a bit of fun at the same time. For the first one, I've decided on fofo (with a short o, like in 'on') which I learnt a few weeks ago when my boss was considering going to the gym. This was because she thought her upper arms were rather fofo, or flabby (my dictionary also translates it as pudgy or podgy).

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with her arms, but was rather pleased to augment my Spanish vocabulary with such a fine and useful word.

5 comments:

Ju's little sister said...

Raelha, this is a cool post, and I do like the idea that we all get to learn Spanish. But I am nervous of the moment Plumpy is going to read this. He is going to declare fofo is his name in Spanish, and we'll never hear the end of it...

Unknown said...

Hmmm, I never thought of that, maybe you should keep him away from the internet for a few days just in case.

Actually, ´el gordito´ would probably be a better translation for Plumpy (lit. the little fat one - often used with affection)and I´d be much happier calling him that than the Spanish for flabby!

Plumpy said...

Oh, Raelha - Mum is soooooo embarrasing! I would never describe myself as flabby, or podgy!

I guess I kind of like el gordito, but really I'm just Plumpy ;-)

Elbi may call me el gordito, if she likes, especially if she is saying it with affection!

Melody said...

Are you playing with words? Learning curve? fofo? Flabby? Geddit?

Unknown said...

Plumpy, Elbi is sometimes referred to hear as la gordita (always with lots of affection), I'm sure she'd love an el gordito to be affectionate with.

Melody, no it hadn't crossed my mind, but shh, I don't mind letting people think I have clever titles to my posts!