Monday 22 October 2007

How to enjoy a day off

Eager to take advantage of the glorious weather we are currently enjoying and my one proper day off, we decided yesterday to venture further afield than the land above the house. With this in mind we donned walking boots and set off to the Parque Natural de Redes, which, as I must have mentioned before, we are fortunate enough to have just half an hour down the hill and up the valley from us.

Hillside town of Collado, perched above the Tanes reservoir

Since I'd had rather a hectic week we decided on a gentle walk rather than a mountain yomp and, having checked the map, settled on a path that followed the river from the village of Orlé to Pendones. The departure point of the walk from the village wasn't clear and we wandered, confused, for a while before we found a map on the edge of the village which showed the route leaving from the right-hand bank of the river.

A nosey donkey on the way up the mountain


After half an hour of steep uphill walking it became apparent that we'd probably taken the wrong route. Never one to be deterred, Matt declared he wasn't going to turn back after all the effort taken so far and we carried on. Up and up went the path, (and cough and pant went I) twisting along the mountain side and bordered by trees boasting mixed foliage of reds, oranges, greens and yellows. It wasn't what we'd come for, but I couldn't complain about the views.


After much huffing and puffing the trees began to clear and we realised we were getting near the brow of the slope. Camera at the ready, I eagerly awaited the views from the top, until we rounded the last corner and were presented by the sight of a fence and gate barring the path and with no way around. Foiled at the last! We were more than slightly miffed but had no other option but to turn around and plod back downhill.

Never one to say no to free (vegetarian) food, and always ready to make the best of a not-what-we-planned situation, I greedily stuffed my pockets full of sweet chestnuts on the way back. Chestnuts are big business in Asturias, and the trees are ubiquitous in rural areas. Come this time of year, roads and paths are covered with prickly green casings and the shiny fruits they hold. We enjoying roasting them in the ash tray of our wood burner, or I'll make a chestnut and mushroom roast. It's even tastier if we find wild field mushrooms, a perfect combination, and one to make me even happier as I get all the main ingredients for nothing!


We wandered through the village on the way on the way back to the car, trying to find out where we went wrong, and not succeeding. This is rather strange in Redes as most walks are very well signed. I happened to ask a villager, who was standing outside his house, where the route started - for future reference - and we ended up being sat down while he went in search of his own map to show us and came back bearing beers for us too. His map turned out to be no clearer than our own, but I enjoyed the beer and the chat and learning more about the village. Ángel, as he was called, even took our photo, and we are now welcome back at his house any time we happen to be in Orlé. This is one of the things I love about Spain, the openness of its people and their willingness to share whatever they have with you, be it, food, drink, time or knowledge. Unfortunately, you don't find it quite so often any more, so coming across it on occasion make it even more special.

On the way home we went took a quick detour in search of a place which some neighbours had told us was good for a swim in hot weather, on the banks of the Nalón river. A handy site to know if we ever can't be bothered to drive the 50 minutes to the beach in summer. We got a pleasant surprise, as what they hadn't told us was that this rather splendid, medieval bridge (13th/14th century) was right next to the bathing area - and only 15 minutes up the valley from us. What was even more surprising is that it's still in use, and not just for pedestrians but for cars as well. It stopped and made me think - I wonder how many 20th/21st century structures will be around and still in use in 500 years time?


After reaching home, most of yesterday evening was spent on the sofa groaning and moaning about my aching legs. Although I did feel rather smug and pleased with myself for surviving so much exercise.

7 comments:

lorenzothellama said...

Well done for surviving such a wonderful walk! I think you could do with some cassata as a reward!
Those chestnuts look good too.

I once saw a lovely 500 year old (or maybe older) bridge in your neck of the woods. I don't think cars drove over it. It had a metal cross hanging from the main arch. It was very beautiful and I framed the photo I took of it.

Talking of which, which we weren't, how are you finding The God Delusion?

I'm off to Holy Island Scotland tomorrow for some time with the Buddhists.
Lorenzo.

Ju's little sister said...

Wonderful - you're perfectly in the right to feel smug! Well done!

Sara said...

Wow, take a look at your gorgeous pics. It's hard to imagine the waether changing as you said, into wet and drizzle. Our heating has been broken at work for the past two days so we've had cold hands and feet but at least it's been sunny!

Chestnuts! Yes, an autumn bonus and of course, thanks for reminding me to make a nut roast from them. I might just do that this weekend. The Weirdo's vegetarian cooking is improving to be sure, but one does need an alternative to Quorn occasionally.

simon said...

Absolutley fantastic photos!

Melody said...

Owww...I'm loving that last photograph...

I wonder about structures sometimes. That bridge is amazing and to still be in use 500 years later is amazing! What about places and icons of today. Do you think they'll still be using the millenium wheel in 2500?

Melody said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melody said...

Soory, that was me above. I accidently posted the same comment twice!