Wednesday 26 September 2007

A gain for Spain

When I left Cardiff, and my PhD, to come to Asturias I went though a whole series of emotions and questioned if I was doing the right thing or just running away. Should I have stayed to finish the thesis? Could I have finished it? Would my life have been any better if I had?

It was certainly less stressful to come here, I didn't have to deal with the UK uni system any more and my health improved too. After a year or so of creating a life for myself here I stopped wondering 'what if?' and Asturias really began to feel like home. I certainly wouldn't want to give up what I have here now and have no intention of permanently returning to the UK.

So, imagine my surprise earlier this year upon receiving an email from my ex-PhD supervisor, Chris, with whom I'd stayed in contact, that announced he too was making the move to Spain, to Madrid. He even went to far as to unexpectedly declare, 'I won't say you inspired me, but certainly your example was one that had an impact on some of my thinking '. Taking into account the fact that he'd previously accused me of being a hippy on more than one occasion I took this as a compliment, despite my not being an full-blown inspiration!

However, I must have set a good enough example to prompt Chris into wanting to start vegetable growing once he gets to Madrid. Since that email I have taken on the role of Organic Gardening Advisor and have enjoyed sharing my knowledge with someone who has freely shared his own (and his time and books) with me.

I find it slightly ironic that while I was questioning my abandonment of university, Chris was back in the UK planning on leaving his 'dream job' and coming here. Now I have settled the questions in my own mind, I hope Chris is just as content in Madrid after his move next month as I am here. If not, there's always Asturias.

19 comments:

Ju's little sister said...

You should teach him how to say "have you any balls?"

Tee hee ;-)

Melody said...

Yay for you. And yay for him.

It is nice to read that you are enjoying your rural Spanish life. Afterall, there is much more to life than just Uni yes? You sound very content and I like that. Your life sounds very wonderful so it is no wonder Chris is in the process of making his own life over in Spain.

lorenzothellama said...

Good for you Raelha. My son Jack ducked out of his PhD on Number Theory after a term as he just didn't see the point of it. Quite right too as it happens.

We must have some talks about organic gardening some time. I never use any chemicals, but am running out of compost.

I've just finished my new blog on our Turkish holiday.

Lorenzo.

Tortoiseshell said...

Blimey - only just seen this post. What a remarkable turn of events!

Unknown said...

You have a beautiful blog . I think you have a great deal of courage to dump a system and do what you want to.

simon said...

Is education everything? The best education is life experience and a move or travel is the best :o)

Martin Stickland said...

Looks like you made the right choice, you seem very happy and who needs edukat.. ejukatio .. edukatio ... learny stuff anyway

Unknown said...

Lorenzo, it took me slightly longet than a term to quit, erm...five years actually, and if I'd spent nine more months working hard on it I could've got it finished. I sill have all my research notes pilled high on the shelves here! Maybe one day.

Thanks everyone for all your comments, I'm quite touched.

Plumpy said...

To the girls,

Thank you ladies - you know how to make a tom feel loved. And I quite agree, Maalie's obsession with birds is an unhealthy one.

lorenzothellama said...

Poor Raelha, you sound shattered. A good night's sleep with the girls cuddling up is just what you need. And maybe a glass or three of that nice Spanish brandy to help you relax!

As for you Plumpy, I quite agree with you about Maalie's obsessive behaviour with birds. I've been living with it all my life!

lorenzothellama said...

Sorry your poor head is swimming with rude words! Joe suggested a word and I didn't know what that meant either, but Jack informed me so I have decided that it was also too rude to print.
Lorenzo.

Sara said...

This is great Raelha. I'm all for people finding a way to make changes which a more self nurturing. It can be a scary thing to do, but more and more I feel like you and amd looking for ways to honour my heart rather than the wretched system.

Martin Stickland said...

I am shipping a big big bar of soap to lorenzybum so she can wash her mouth out with it! Dirty words, there is no F*****g need for them!

lorenzothellama said...

Can you make it Chanel soap Martin? Llamas are very partial to nice smells.
Lorenzo.

lorenzothellama said...

Oh Raelha, I've just come back from an anti Tesco rally! See piccies on blog!
Lorenzo.

Unknown said...

Magadalene, I can recommend giving a finger to the system. I have a very strong sensible streak in me but am glad I ignored it this time!

Lorenzo, don't use the soap before you tell us what that word was! Matt is full of disgusting words, but even he can't figure it out.

lorenzothellama said...

Yes, his unctionness is still our sitting MP. It doesn't matter who you vote for his, his nibs always gets in!
When Jemima was a little girl she sat on his knee after one of the ballet concerts. She was dress as Paddington Bear if I remember correctly and had to clump about the stage in a big hat and a bottle of marmalade. She was only four at the time and if anyone called the blessed Nick 'twat' she got very upset.

Lorenzo.

lorenzothellama said...

ps I once voted for the Monster Raving Loony Party but it didn't make a difference. The guy lost his deposit too.

Unknown said...

A llama voting for the MRLP! Hee, hee.