Sunday 15 March 2009

Update

OK, yes, I admit it, I have been lazy as well as busy. I meant to post in the New Year seeing as I had lots to tell you about, mostly involving my first trip back to the UK in three and a half years. And it was fun. I got to see my sister and her boyfriend, and my niece and flirt outrageously with their cat, a handsome ginger tom called Olly, and eat my first Cauldron Foods veggie sausage sandwich in years, which my mum had very kindly prepared for me to scoff as we left the airport. Speaking of which, I got dizzy - honestly- going round the roundabout in the 'wrong' direction leaving Stansted. I'm properly continental now it seems.

Anyway, I can't remember the last time it was so cold, certainly not here, although at times this last winter it's not been far off. But anyway, the cold there added to the festiveness of the trip (probably since I had central heating to go with it) as did a trip to the panto in Harrogate in which I fully particpated. So much so that I started to lose my voice near the end from all the shouting 'oh yes it is' and 'it's behind you', though that didn't stop me, oh no... it was panto, and specifically my first in years and years, and my first with my niece and I wasn't going to not take part.


Sunrise in Ripon, N. Yorkshire on a cold winter's morning. I was taking my niece to school, quite possibly the only thing that could've induced me to get up that early on such a cold day.



Mr Oliver, what gorgeous eyes you have!

How could I resist? And of course, I didn't.


Anyways, I got my first curries (yes, in the plural) in too long, my first chip-shop chips, doused in malt vinegar, in too long and on top of that was spoiled rotten by all the snug central heating. And, if all that wasn't enough, my mum got me a digital camera for Xmas, so now I can once more snap away happily, thanks mum! After five days in North Yorkshire I pootled on down to London with the expectation of warmer weather. Ha! Temperatures got down to -10ยบ. Though I did still enjoy myself. I got to wander the excellent British Museum for an hour, which was nowhere near long enough but still an adventure.


In the British Museum.


I caught up with friends and enjoyed being in the capital, especially at night. Walking across Tower Bridge and seeing the South Bank and St. Paul's and the London Eye all lit up was something special.
Excuse the blurry pic - still practising with the camera.


As were the cocktails with Sue, the vegetarian curry in Tooting and my first pint of proper ale in what felt like an eternity: it was one I hadn't tried before - Timothy Taylor's Landlord and it was quite possibly the best I've ever had.



Too many to choose from, so we ordered two and shared. I very much approved of the large glasses.



The star beverage of the trip: a very tasty Landlord.

I arrived back home in Asturias to snow falling as I drove back up my mountain. Believe me, it's not pleasant coming back to a stone house that has been empty for a week in the middle of winter when it's cold enough to snow after having spent a week of blissful luxury in a centrally-heated environment; especially since a feral cat ripped the cat flap door off its hinges letting a freezing wind into the house (and I'm still having trouble replacing it with the new one, how can an electric drill be so hard to use?). Then, just in time for the start of work, I came down with a nasty cold and cough, which I've just about managed to shake off completely now it seems that spring and the sun have returned to Asturias.
View down the hill at dusk.

Anyway, since then, what have I been up to? Well, getting a tube shoved down my thorat into my tum to see if I'm Coeliac for starters, which was vile, and I'm still waiting on the results - not until May; trudging down to work and back in more snow; starting a self-defence class and wishing my body was as quick at learning as my mind - legs go this way, left arm goes round and out, right arm goes... aw shit, let's start again, again; and welcoming Sue who's come to stay for two months (not quite the strapping 'au pair' she herself suggested I get to help out, but much better company at least) and has been helping me get the garden in order - the potatoes went in today - as well as being a good Scrabble/drinking/DVD-watching partner.

There's one more even that's happened recently which doesn't suit the tone of this posting, which I'd started over two weeks ago, so I'll tell you all about it in another post very soon.

Sorry to have been away for so long - yet again. Now I have a garden helper I hope to have more time again for the blog.

5 comments:

Melody said...

Nice to read you're back!

Metamatician said...

I love Oliver, he's adorable! I think I might have smuggled him out in my luggage...

Thanks for the description of your trip, I knew a lot of it of course but it's fun to read of the good times you had again.

Going home is always a trip. Just driving on a different side of the road, eating foods you haven't in years, feeling the different climate... after years of being away, I'm sure it was all quite a shock. I wonder how much Macc has changed since you left? I went back to a town in Southern California called Valencia (funnily enough) where I spent some formative years as a kid, and it's doubled in size with new construction all over the place (well, there was four years ago - bet not so much these days)... I was pretty deflated to see my "little" town having grown so much.

Course I came from a place you could scarcely call a village out in the hills and woods, with a population in the entire area under 200, and last time I check (not long ago), that place hasn't grown at all. Now THAT my be a real trip to go back and visit. Most of my earliest memories are from that house and living 'in the country.'

Talk soon.

Unknown said...

Is it too late to say that's a very good, atmospheric photo of the view down the valley at night? No? Good, because I just did.

Unknown said...

Mwta, yes, Oliver is yummy, If I didn't have so many here already I might have done just that. I made a real fuss of him while I was there causing my sister to voice her concern about my state of mind.

And yes, it was quite a shock, even walking around Harrogate - the closets sizable town to my sister's house was strange and it felt claustophobic with 'all' the people there, though London wasn't so bad. I didn't make it to Macc on this visit, though I'm sure it will have changed, as will have Cardiff, I imagine.

Going back to your home town would be fun. It sounds as though it was an ideal place to grow up. Though memory is funny thing and perhaps you'd be disappointed even if things hadn't changed that much.

Stewart, no, not too late at all. Compliments are always welcome.

Unknown said...

Sorry, all my remaining compliments are reserved for Olly. What a particularly fine looking cat he is.

Google Street View now covers Cardiff if you want to see what it looks like now.