Tuesday 17 March 2009

Samson

This is Samson:
As a kitten, sunbathing outside his barn.

Having found a home, with Cheeky.

I'm afraid that no-one will ever get to met him, since he died on Friday morning. It turned out he had leukemia and his liver was in a really bad way. It was something of a shock since he'd seemed to be healthy until last week and it all happened so quickly.
He was only ten months old - one of the cats that I'd rescued from the barn near my mum's house. I'd brought him back home to get him used to being around people with the aim of finding him an adoptive home - I was going to post on this organisation's website - but he turned out to be such a sweet and gentle cat with the biggest paws -  with which he'd only ever pat at you gently - and so eager for company and love that the idea of letting him go had become very difficult. In the end, I had to give him up in the hardest way possible.

Not only am I devastated, but Cheeky has lost his best friend too, he's become very affectionate now his snuggling partner has gone and is curled up on my lap as I type this, purring.

While I'm here, and on a happier note, I'd like to make one more introduction. This little scamp is Mouse, the third cat I rescued, Cheeky and Samson's sister.

I think she's going to be hanging around now, since I can't bear to give her away anymore. From a quiet, shy, skinny puss, deserving of her name, she's turned into lively, loving little minx.

I suspect Cheeky's going to have his paws full keeping all four ladies in order.

8 comments:

Metamatician said...

R,

You already know how I feel about Samson, just know that I still think about him too and feel terrible for you. Like we said, if he was in that bad of health, it's best he went as quickly as he did rather than suffer for weeks or months. But I know that doesn't make it any less hard to come to grips with the realisation that he's gone.

I'm always here for you.

J xx

Metamatician said...

And just another comment, he was a VERY handsome tom. I like how he had a big head and big hands, and he's similar patterning to Jackson, unlike Cheeky and Mouse, who are also precocious and precious (that order) too of course. Sam was a good looking dude. If he's have been healthy he would have grown to be really big, I think.

Unknown said...

Poor kitten. It was good that he found a caring home, even if it wasn't to be for long.

Unknown said...

Aw, thank you you two for your comments. He was a handsome puss - though I've yet to meet a ginger tom who wasn't. And yes, he would've been huge, hence the name - you could tell by the size of his paws, even when he was little.

I would never have let him suffer for that long, but it would've been nice to give him a stroke goodbye.

I know he appreciated being looked after though and taken away from that drafty barn. It's cat heaven up here, after all - a fire in the winter, allowed on the bed, food bowl always full, no nearby road, a big field to frolic in and woods and barns nearby for adventuring and hunting, and a south-facing terrace to sunbathe on. Oh, and a human who's always up for stokes and cuddles.

Ju's little sister said...

Awwwww, sniff sniff. He looks so gorgeous, I wish I could have met him. I'm such a sucker for gingers, they're my favourite kinda cat!

I lost my childhood friend (Marmalade) a couple of years ago - he was too old for quality of life, so my Dad says. His sister (the originally named Black Cat) is coming up 21 or 22 years old!!!

Plumpy said...

HANDS OFF MY GIRL YOU SNEAK!

Fancy weaseling your way into Raelha's heart before I even have a chance to make it over there!

Well >sniff< I know what it's like to lose a friend. So, well, you just look after those girls Cheeky, won't you?

Tortoiseshell said...

I'm back - with a nice recent cat pic as well!

Unknown said...

jls, thank you too. He was ever so handsome and I was looking forward to many years of knowing him. Losing a cat is always hard.

Black Cat is doing very well. I hope she's being well looked after in her old age.

And Plumpy, please don't worry, you will always have a special place in my heart. There's no-one quite like you. Cheeky is quite looking forward to making your acquaintence. He'd say hello right now if he were here, but he's currently at the vet's undergoing The Op.