Sunday 5 August 2007

We finally see the light, but the cats get a little confused

I forgot to mention in my previous post the building work that had been done on our house this last week. It was nothing major, but it has made all the difference. We had a new front door fitted. One with glass in it, lots of glass. The old front door was a wooden affair. It was so old and badly fitted that it let in lots of drafts. For more than a year we had cardboard and old carpet stapled to it in an effort to keep out cold winds. But no more, the horrid old door has gone and we have this to replace it:





Not only does it mean the house will be warmer in the colder months, but that we get a significantly increased amount of light into the house which I'm still getting used to. The first thing I did when the door was fitted was to get myself one of these:







I love having plants in the house and was quite upset at having to give all mine away when I left Wales, including a rather splendid dracaena. We hadn't had the light or space for plants up until now.


I used to have one of the above in Cardiff, and I loved it dearly, but it grew too tall for the rental house I was in so I gave into the caring hands of my mum, who promptly threw it away when she moved house - no mum, I've not forgotten! So I seized the opportunity to get myself another one. It can grow as tall as it likes where it is on the stairs and I'm hoping it does. I always find a house with plants in it to be much more welcoming.


The only members of the household who aren't too pleased with the new arrangement are the cats. They used to have their cat flap in the old door, so Matt has had to adapt a ventilation hole in the kitchen to give them their own tunnel leading through the stonework to the flap which gives onto the terrace. The tunnel had been prepared two weeks previously to cause the least amount of confusion as possible. Matt checked on the size of the hole by picking up Elbi - who's always happy to oblige, and also the fattest of the three - and shoving her ever so gently, but firmly, through the hole. After discovering that the fat cat would fit through we left the tunnel open for investigation before closing it off until we put the door in.

Cats are conservative creatures and our decision to change the door, and so the position of the flap, has not been welcomed as enthusiastically as we had hoped. Never mind that they will be much snugger in winter, our three felines are not happy at having had their own front door moved, despite our careful planning. They will now often sit by the new door and look in or out and sniff to see what's happened. Only then, when they've checked that the flap hasn't reappeared in its proper place will they resort to using the new entrance. We have only just been forgiven by Mahou, always the grumpiest of the three, who has spent most of the last two days outside, away from the house, in protest. This morning, however, she jumped on the bed with a chirrup before snuggling against my leg and purring gently, which I'm very grateful for.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite right Mahou, you just let your Mum know exactly how you feel about having your door moved. It's not right, everything seems to be for THEIR convenience. Sometimes I sit by the catflap and mew pitifully until someone opens the door for me, simply because I cannot be bothered to go through the flap.
Love Scaredy.

lorenzothellama said...

You are quite right guessing where Joe's bar is, but it's Duke's Court, not Dean's Court. He is right at the end and up one flight of steps. There used to be a caff underneath it, and I took him there many a time when he was little for a bottle of Coke!

lorenzothellama said...

Nice to see Plumpy back from his enforced retirement!
Lorenzo.

Anonymous said...

rachie,
new door looks fab. i bet its made a huge difference. is there something you can say to make cloggers sell his gaff to us? pleeease think of something!
dawnxx

lorenzothellama said...

Egg shells take so long to break down, don't they? I always crush them, and that helps.
I do find paper makes the compost texture lighter although there is very little nutrient value. Newsprint is good too as long as you don't put it in a thick wodge.
Good old Merthyr! I think Wren's bin sounds a bit like that, but she had to buy it herself.
Lorenzo.