Tuesday 28 August 2007

Spanish confusion

Since we´ve been here I´ve had plenty of opportunities to improve my Spanish. However, despite much encouragement from my good self, Matt has yet to fully grasp the bull by the horns and learn the language properly. He´s fairly hopeless at verbs but does pick up vocabulary very quickly - and remember it.

This lack of knowledge of the way Spanish works has, on occasion, been the cause of much amusement to me. The most recent of the incidents happened in a coffee bar last week. While supping on his Columbian coffee Matt noticed a sign saying tómate un capricho, which translates as ´have a treat´ (from the verb tomar - have or take). For the life of him, Matt could not understand why a coffee bar would be talking about tomatoes, and I had to have a giggle before I explained.

Even better, was one of the first conversations he had with our neighbour, José María, from whom we buy our eggs (a cultural note - this name translates as Joseph Mary and is a common man´s name in Spain. The women´s version is Mary Joseph - María José). In an attempt to make him practice his Spanish I always make Matt go to buy eggs on his own and he normally comes back half an hour later with two dozen big, fresh eggs and tales of what he´s just been talking about and how he expressed himself. On the occasion in question, Matt was at the bottom of our finca, our piece of land, and called across to José María to ask him if he had some eggs we could buy. Very pleased with being able to ask the question, Matt shouted out, so all the neigbours could hear "¿tienes huevos?" . Now, while this can indeed be translated as ´Do you have eggs?´ huevos is also a very common slang word meaning balls (of the masculine variety, not for playing tennis). So in fact, what Matt had asked was ´Do you have balls?´, which here is a way of asking a man for a fight. Fortunately our neighbour is well aware of Matt´s Spanish (in)capabilities and answered Sí, dos - ´Yes, two´, which Matt understood as meaning ´yes I have two (dozen eggs)´. he came back to house, chest bursting with pride, as he told me about his latest linguistic adventure and was most put out when I burst out laughing.

The best Spanish faux pas however, was committed by Matt´s mum on a visit to us here. She would very often walk down the hill into the town and back and one day came home with stories of how she had practised her Spanish, which she has only been picking up in bits and pieces since she´s been visting us here. This day, she recounted, she´d been on her way down the hill and walked past an elder gentleman on his way up, whom she greeted with a "good day". When questioned as to what she´d actually said, it turned out that it was "¡hola, bueno!". She´d confused the word buenas, which can be used as a shortened version of buenos días or buenas tardes, and in fact said "hi handsome!". The best part of it was that he´d responded with a "¡hola, buena!" or "hello gorgeous".

I have four English-speaking friends arriving today. I wonder if any of them will provide me with my next linguistic chuckle?

18 comments:

lorenzothellama said...

Brilliant! Must remember that about eggs and balls.

Lorenzo the Hippo.

lorenzothellama said...

Raelha, look what Maalie has done to my photo now. I never know what's going to be there. A little while ago I was an anteater.
Lorenzo.

Ju's little sister said...

Oh, I missed Lorenzo the Hippo!

It sounds like you can have a lot of fun in Spanish and blame the learning curve!
Please do let us know the next giggle at Matt's expense ;-)

Melody said...

Oh that is amusing!

Unknown said...

It give a whoel new meaing to the phrase 'teaching someone to suck eggs'.

Ju's little sister said...

Hi Raelha, I wonder if you would be able to help me out with a little spanish translation?

How would I write:- "Look out, there are llamas!" ?

I have discovered the monty python sketch The Llama and would like the spanish to put in one of my stories. Thank you :-)

I'm also sending the link to our llama too, in case she hasn't seen it recently.

Sez said...

Thank you thank you thank you.

I'm off to warn the commenters on Loranzo's blog ;-)

(Plumpy is practicing the pronounciation)

Ju's little sister said...

Ahem... it seems I might have let slip my real name. The above comment is really from me. (If you couldn't have guessed from the reference to Plumpy!)

lorenzothellama said...

Just as well you translated. I was about to email the Fairtrader who is in Guatamala at the moment. She speaks a mean Spanish! (if with a South American accent!)

I've been to Fatmikespa and had a face lift. My new features are on the blog!
Lorenzo the Glamourous.

Boricua in Texas said...

This was so funny. I can just see your neighbor answering "Sí, do" in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way.

I have a Spanish to English faux pas story. When I was 22 my first serious job was as a receptionist at the newsroom of the largest newspaper in Puerto Rico. Once I received a call in English from someone in the US. He was from the Federal government and he was looking for two reporters. Well, it was early in the day and the reporters were out working on their stories. I wanted to say "they are out on the street beat", but what I actually said was "they're out working the streets." I knew it was wrong the second it came out of my mouth and was very embarrassed, but in the end the caller and I had a good laugh imagining the reporters soliciting johns on the street.

lorenzothellama said...

Hello Raelha, just wanted to say that Scaredy has scrammed. Maalie has just arrived!

lorenzothellama said...

If you need a fecking confession, please go to Martin Strickland's fecking blog. Father Ann has sought sanctury on his blog in Combe Martin. Some of the fecking old gentlemen she gave penance to have suffered terrible fecking injuries and their relations are fecking suing.

Lorenzo the Fecking Llama

lorenzothellama said...

Raelha, he has bought his own pork fillet and enough for Peter too!
Why is it that every time Maalie comes I get absolutely paralitic!
Lorenzo the pissed llama

lorenzothellama said...

Maalie has made me eat three boiled eggs this morning just so he can do his experiment. All in the name of science, says he.
Feeling slightly queasy after the eggs and the gin last night. The results of his egg test are now on his blogsite.
Lorenzo the Hungover Llama

lorenzothellama said...

I'm sure Father Ann and I would both love to stay, especially to see your cats!
Hasn't Scaredy got just the most gorgeous tummy? I've just forwarded that picture to the little Fairtrader in Guatamala. After all's said and done, he is OFFICIALLY her cat!
LtL.

Martin Stickland said...

Oh dear oh dear what have you gone and done?

Why have you dumped all these mad fools on my blog?

Unknown said...

I dumped them?! When I arrived they were already there.

Ju's little sister said...

Goodness, I didn't imagine my simple request for translation would make such a point for conversation!

Which blog of Mr Stickland's is he talking about? I had a look at Combe Martin Life but was a little overwhelmed and backed out again. :-(