Wednesday 15 July 2009

Raelha´s first concert for almost five years

Actually, make that concerts, or rather one huge festival jam packed full of concerts. Yes indeed, I spent last Thursday, Friday and Saturday swaying, jigging, jiggling, rocking, dancing, bouncing, pogoing, arm waving and singing my heart out in Bilbao. A full three days of Supergrass - always excellent, and coincidentally my last concert in the UK before coming to Spain; The Ting Tings - surprisingly talented as well as being lots of fun; Asian Dub Foundation; Primal Scream; The Editors; Placebo; Jane´s Addiction - best sound and general entertainment of the whole festival, though they also win the ´worst dressed´ prize for the guitarrist´s flared leather trousers; Fisherspooner - my first taste and upon reflection, I like; Chris Cornell - wow; Depeche Mode - I still have ´It´s No Good´swirling around in my head; and others. Basically, sign me up for next year right now!

I´d forgotten how much I missed the entire festival experience, apart from the three-days-camping grungy feeling which, no longer being a manky student, I attempted to avoid this time with baby wipes, spray-on deoderant and finally a trip to the shockingly cold showers when it all got too much.

And no, I didn´t forget to take my camera, but rather forgot to charge the battery beforehand.

9 comments:

Melody said...

Cooooooooooooooooooooooool....

Metamatician said...

I even told you about that concert.

Unknown said...

Very nice - a good collection of bands there. How were Editors? I ask as they're the only band I've ever had a ticket for and not ended up going. In fact I don't think I've seen any of those bands live except Supergrass.

I also note you've not answered the obvious question of any festival - did it rain?

Unknown said...

Stewart, nope, it didn´t rain, it was warm and sunny the entire three days, otherwise I wouldn´t have braved the freezing shower.

And I only caught half of the Editors, having never heard them before. Not bad. I think I would´ve appreciated them more if I´d already known their music.

Metamatician said...

You saw Cornell and I missed him because my brother in law said he had sure access to free tickets with backstage passes, and at the last minute flaked out with nothing.

My life is worthless. I hope he sounded good, as least. Was it all from "Scream" or did the playlist span more of his career?

Unknown said...

Yes, Cornell was great 8Did I say i was close enough to see the colour of his eyes?). Excellent muscicians with him and the sound was fantastic. He played a mixture from his back catalogue and about 4 songs from Scream, perfect really. And he stood had and shioulder abover most of the other bands for sheer professionalism and erm, show-bizism, he´s a real entertainer.

I´m sorry you missed seeing him. A trip backstage would surely have matched up to your time with Harriet.

Metamatician said...

Yes it would have! I'm sorry I missed it. I'm stil miffed at my sis and brother in law (not mad, just miffed - they're hard to be mad at, because they don't deliberately f*ck with you, they just are over-busy all the time and chronically forget things that may seem trivial to them but are atually quite important to those who count on them, like me. I suppose I should stop counting on them, even when they PROMISE things).

Sounds like a great concert, too, more's the pity. Chris really is a professional - you can tell he's been at the game for a long, long time. You saw he "blue-green water" eyes... lucky you! Did he make eye contact with you?

I watched the YouTube video you posted of the performance of Billie Jean - now suddenly more relevant - and it was typically slow, brooding, and quintessially Chris. Nice. He's a tall bastard too, it seems.

Metamatician said...

P.S. Glad it wasn't an obvious "Scream" promo... 4 sounds about perfect, as you said. I'm guessing it was the hits, to get those out of the way so to speak, then some solo, audioslave, and soundgarden. Must had been great!

Never seen him yet. I will, someday. Hopefully before he loses that golden throat.

Metamatician said...

Cool you saw Jane's Addiction and all those other bands, too.