Saturday 22 December 2007

Solstice

First of all, let me apologise for the lack of photos in this post. It seems my camera has turned into a vampire as it sucks all the life out of the batteries before I can get a single photo taken, and spending €26 on new rechargables has not helped the situation. And this just when I wanted to entertain you all with pictures of the mulled wine, the grand lighting and our roaring bonfire. Although, to be honest, ones of me after one too many mugs of wine were never going to be posted anyway. I wonder if it's too late to convert and ask Santa for a new one?!

It's always wonderful to arrive home to the smell of mulled wine, especially when there's a warming chilli 'sin carne' awaiting too. So, defying the rest of El Entrego who all seemed to be determined that I should have a Feliz Navidad (I really should learn how to say 'Winter Solstice' in Spanish so I can wish everyone a happy one in reply), we scoffed our dinner and, mugs of spiced wine in hand, went outside to enjoy the evening. The night was clear, the moon almost full and the stars winked cheekily at us in the crisp air.

Bonfire lit, we spread out an old blanket and enjoyed the warmth and spendour of the fire, which I imagine could be seen all the way down in the town. We were soon joined by all three cats who took great delight in having an audience for their clowning around the kale plants before deciding that the stange glowing object wasn't a threat and coming to sit on the blanket with us. Eventually they got bored and went in, but we stayed out until gone midnight, sitting, watching, contemplating, and supping beer once the wine had run out.

We made it to bed at about 1.30 this morning with the plan of planting our peas today and preparing the bed for garlic. However, the weather has turned and it's been raining since mid-morning. Instead I'm planning on lazing next to the fire with a good book.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Foiled! Already. Matt has just declared we're out of cut wood. Guess whose turn it is to get out there with the saw?

Sara said...

Glad you had a lovely evening, but shame about your camera. I've been having lovely indoor fires the past few evenings and thankfully my good man was considerate enough to bring an ample supply indoors for me before he left. However, your upper arm muscles will be in much better shape than mine by the sounds of it.

Metamatician said...

Convert and ask Santa?? What are you converting to, Paganism? Love your pictures, you've got a good eye and the area you live in seems to cooperate too. Looks beautiful.

Funny, I just read that Dawkins book not too long ago. It's a good one until he starts repeating himself and making a few flimsy arguments at the end. All in all a good read still.

We seem to have almost the exact same taste in music and movies too, how odd. Love the "God the Builder" pic =D

Feliz Navidad y año nuevo (pronto)!

Unknown said...

Maybe I should've said convert back - to celebrating Xmas, and asking for presents.

It's taking me a while to get through the Dawkins, mostly because when I get back from work at 9pm my brain is too fried after 6/7 hours of teaching to go near it. I shall take advantage of my hoidays to get it finished. I am enjoying his scathing/comic adsides, he must have enjoyed himself not having to write a purely academic book.

That's my second complement on God/Bob this week, after having him up there for a few months and no-one saying anything, strange, but pleasing.

Cheers about the pictures too, although it's difficult not to get a good one when you a)have a digital camera and b)live here.

Oh, and I may have been slightly melodramatic about the camera, it's decided to work again, although I'm not sure how long the batteries will last this time.

Thesaurus Rex said...

Hope ya bonfire party was cool/hot and much milling, mingling and mulling was done. I've just finished all my food prep and off to bed. Happy X(christ)mas, woodgirl.